Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Tested on Film Stars not Animals!






I have been a huge fan of Tara Smith for quite sometime!  She is not only an amazing hairstylist, but also an entrepreneur clawing her way to the top of the hair care industry and she is doing it naturally!  That is no easy feat!

Tara is a pioneer in my industry because film, television and the like are not exactly eco-friendly environments.  The carbon footprint left behind can sometimes make the cast and crew feel less than “green!”



Tara says, “It was important to me to develop a salon-quality product line based on natural plant ingredients and accessible to everyone at a realistic price tag. I have made sure my products are as natural as they can be without having to keep them in the fridge because I believe that what we put on our body is as important as what we put in it!”

I knew I was going to love this product when I read her tag line...“Tested on Film Stars not Animals!” Kudos Tara!  I am sure that all those celebrity clients did not mind being your test subjects!



Here is a little inside information on Tara:


She is one of the most respected celebrity hairstylists in the industry.  Her famous clients include: Demi Moore, Marisa Tomei, Rosario Dawson, Neve Campbell, Lucy Liu, Patricia Arquette, Lindsay Lohan, Sting and Matthew McConaughey, to name just a few.  Her recent film credits include: Happy Tears, Grindhouse and SATC (the movie – L.A. crew).


She received the 2009 Celebrity Hairstylist of the Year award in the UK.  English-born, Tara began working alongside her mother at her salon, which was originally her grandmother’s at a very young age!



More of Tara’s philosophy, “hair, makeup and clothes are our most expressive assets.  A great haircut should enhance your facial features while accenting your personality.  I think many hairdressers try and fit a person into a style.  Personally, I believe it should be the other way round!”  How true that statement is and I believe the same from a makeup artist’s perspective.

Recently, I was sent a few of Tara’s incredible products to try personally and professionally.  Tara’s belief is that “the hair is a plant that needs to be fed,” and so it requires regular hydration and nutrients.


My hair is colored, probably like many of my readers, and can suffer from environmental elements.  Plus, during seasonal changes my hair can become greasy or extremely dry and brittle.  And who doesn't put their hair through major styling distress; blow dryers, hot rollers, curling irons, straighteners, etc., can reek havoc on all hair types!

Tara has a wide range of shampoos and conditioners for all types of hair, but I have been using Tara’s C Curls Shampoo and Conditioner and I love how it combats harsh frizzes! Its key ingredients are Rosemary and hydrolyzed Soybean.






According to Tara’s website, Rosemary is prized for its revitalizing and tonic properties which when combined with the hydrolyzed Soybean, energize the hair and keep the cuticle flexible to improve the hair’s feel and shine.

I have also been using her Base Coat Serum, Rock On Hard Hold Styling Gel and Top Coat Glosser.  All of which have helped me manage some pretty unruly, naturally wavy hair!




In fact, I used to straighten my hair daily using a round brush, blow dryer and straightener because I was unable to find products that would allow me to wear my hair wavy and/or allow my hair to air dry without getting frizzy.


It seemed no matter what serum, styling gel or other accouterments I used in the morning, my hair looked worse and worse as the day progressed causing me to put my hair up into a ponytail or clip!
I hated my natural wave and swore that I would never show my true hair self to the public!  Then along came Tara’s products and I have a new burst of hair confidence!  This product line has given me the ability to have hair that is versatile.  I can choose to wear my hair wavy or straight and have the faith that it will look great either way all day long!

Plus, as a Pro makeup artist in the television and film industry, I have to admit that I do feel guilty when I am constantly throwing away sponges, orange puffs, cotton balls or when I am spraying aerosols into the air.  Tara’s product line helps to minimize the pollutants that cause environmental destruction and can alleviate a client’s allergies to different chemicals and fillers used in hair products.  Totally recyclable packaging!

Below is a great article about Tara:


Tara has also made her hair care products extremely affordable with a prices ranging from $5.95-$9.95.  Remember that when hair care products are naturally based, they do not contain the traditional chemicals that will make massive amounts of lather, so if they feel a little different at first, that doesn't mean the product isn't working or cleaning your hair!  


Tara’s products are currently sold at Duane Reade stores in and around NYC or online at Amazon UK and  www.tarasmith.com.

Pro Tips and Tricks:



No comments:

Post a Comment